Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Progressing

I'm normally one to be behind the scenes. I don't like being the center of attention and sometimes when a lot of people are looking at me I get uncomfortable. I remember very distinctly giving my very first talk in church. I was scared out of my mind. I was shaking uncontrollably and was SO nervous. I decided that day that public speaking was NEVER going to be my thing. I made up my mind that I would always be a wall flower and I would never try to make speaking in front of people a talent. I've always been taught to develop talents and to practice things that we aren't good at, but to me this was going to be the exception. This was the one thing I was not willing to try to improve. It was too scary, too uncomfortable and so not worth the stress and effort.

Well it's funny how things work out sometimes. It seems like from that day forward the Lord decided I needed to do exactly what I had already convinced myself was never possible. At 17 I spoke at Stake Conference- in front of a few hundred people. Then through college I did several presentations in front of my class. We then continued on to move 13 times and talk in church every 6-12 months for about 5 years. After that I taught a class at the University. Now, just yesterday I put on an assembly for over 700 kids. Yes, you heard that right.

I am doing a Reach for the Stars reading incentive program with one of our local Elementary schools.  Jefferson Elementary school is the biggest school in Rigby with over 850 kids! (at least that's what the PTO president told me). Anyway, GUESS WHAT? It was fun! Yes F.U.N! I got them all jazzed up about the Read-A-Thon and there was so much energy. I had a super fun ppt explaining the program, and we got excited about prizes and then we watched a video of one of my favorite authors reading one of my favorite Usborne books. It was so fun!

All of these experiences, even opportunities, have been huge blessings in my life. I have really come to love challenging myself. I've been able to be a part of some things that are way out of my comfort zone, but those things have proven to be blessing that have made me grow and learn and progress so much more than I ever thought I wanted. I never in a million years would have thought that I was capable of doing something like teaching a University class or being the center of attention and getting 700 kids all Jazzed up about a reading program. I'm so grateful for the opportunities that i've been given to stretch myself personally and to do things that are hard but rewarding.

1 comment:

sally said...

Well done, Kayla! The things we can accomplish with the strength of the Father! I am thrilled that you are energizing students to read!