Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Uplifting Experiences 7- Sally

For most of my life I have known Sally, as "Miss Guenther". Miss Guenther, was my 4th grade teacher. She is also the Mom of one of my friends/classmates, Jami Guenther. I remember one time I went to Jami's house (can't remember why) and Miss Guenther made spaghetti. It was the best spaghetti ever. (bet you didn't know that did you Sally?) I also remember her reading "The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe" to our class. She played the guitar and sang songs to us a few times.

Over the years i've come to think of Miss Guenther as more than just my 4th grade teacher. She is Sally. She is my friend. She is supportive, kind, thoughtful, insightful, compassionate, encouraging and always seems to know the right things to say. To this day, I have only seen Sally a couple times in the last 15 years, but she has done some special things for our family. Like the one time she sent us 60 dollars and the most thoughtful Christmas card (which I still have after moving so many times, in fact it was on my kitchen pin board for over a year). Or when she sent a new pair of clothes for the boys for Christmas. Or another time she sent a gift for their birthday. Or the time she wrote me an endearing message straight from the heart after she found out about our loss of Thomas Kyrum. Or the constant posts and comments she makes on my facebook or blog that make me feel special, loved and of worth. She is the type of person that doesn't seek recognition, but does small and simple things that make such a positive difference and recognizes others.

So thank you Sally. Thank you for you acts of service. Thank you for always recognizing me and making me feel like my family is so special. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and kindness. I know you will read this, so I want you to know how much you are appreciated. We love you!

1 comment:

sally said...

Oh Kayla! You are too generous with your words! Thank you for those memories; I really miss those days back in Vanderhoof. Your grade 4 class is still one of my very favourites since it was filled with such great children who I knew would go out and make life better wherever they went. Sometimes I feel like I just want gather all those good people around me and selfishly build my own little world. God, however, needs us to all shine our lights brightly wherever He takes us so we can share all that goodness to so many more people.
Thank you for being such a positive woman who is raising her children with fun, laughter, discipline, and God. It doesn't get better than that, does it? God bless you!! (It brings tears to my eyes that I made your list!)